Part-time Employment Opportunity
PATRON SERVICES STAFF AT THE FOUR SEASONS CENTRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
The Canadian Opera Company is now accepting applications for the part-time position of Patron Services Staff at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. The 2019/2020 season begins at the end of September and runs until late June.
Reporting to the Patron Services Managers, Patron Services Staff work both usher and bartender shifts, and may be offered porter shifts if they have relevant experience.
Providing exceptional customer service at performances and events, Patron Services Staff are members of the Patron Services Department and are the front line staff of the Four Seasons Centre. Patron Services Staff are scheduled to work shifts as Ushers, Bartenders and Porters, mostly on weekends and evenings. Candidates are required to have previous Front of House and/or Food & Beverage experience.
The unique separate responsibilities for Ushers, Bartenders and Porters are as follows:
- Greets and seats patrons and attends to their needs throughout the performance or event
- Provides positive and courteous service interactions to all patrons
- Ensures the safety and cleanliness of public areas of the building
- Provides assistance for patrons with special needs or limited mobility; relocates and retrieves wheelchairs and walkers
- Enforces house policies related to a variety of issues such as photography, noise disturbances, or food and beverage in the auditorium during performances
- Assists patrons with late seating
- Provides a variety of patron services outside of the auditorium such as attending front doors, scanning tickets, operating an elevator and handing out pre-orders at bars during intermissions
- Provides services at Coat Check
- Other duties as assigned
- Sets up bars and serves a variety of food and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to patrons during pre-show and intermission periods
- Clears the floor of dirty glassware
- Polishes and sets up glassware and bar accessories
- Mentally calculates payment and handles cash
- Dismantles bars, loads carts and returns items to storage areas
- Provides a variety of patron services outside of the bar such as Coat Check and covering usher positions both pre-performance and post-performance as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Prepare product to stock bars in several locations, replenish bar items during performances, clear and wash glassware
- Receive and store product deliveries (some heavy lifting)
- Provide kitchen maintenance including set up for activities and clean up after event
- Assist bartenders during intermission
- Adaptable to a work schedule covering evenings and weekends and able to commit to a set schedule of three (3) or four (4) days per week including at least one (1) weekend shift
- Must be Smart Serve certified
- Flexibility in providing various services to meet the needs of our patrons
- Able to remain on feet for long periods of time
- Excellent customer service skills and positive demeanor
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds without difficulty
- Comfortable with heights, elevators, and stairs
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support-base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006. For more information on the COC, visit coc.ca.
Interviews will take place on September 10, 12 and 13, 2019, and mandatory training will take place on all of the following dates: September 23, 24, 26 and 27, 2019 (evenings – exact times TBC).
Deadline for applications: Monday September 2, 2019 at 12 p.m.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts
Canadian Opera House Corporation
145 Queen St. W.
Toronto, ON M5H 4G1
Applications may be submitted by:
Email: [email protected]. Please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF, titled “first name, last name” i.e. “John Smith”
In-Person: Leave with security desk at the stage door of the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, on Richmond Street West just west of York Street.
Only applications received by Monday, September 2, 2019 at 12 p.m. will be considered.
The COC thanks in advance all applicants; however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Canadian Opera Company is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, then please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.