Director, Sales & Acquisition
The Canadian Opera Company (COC) aims to bring the transformative experience of opera to our local, national, and global audience every day of the year.
In accordance with our COC365 Strategic Plan, the COC is reimagining and expanding its organizational structure—from digital to physical—by creating a new and highly collaborative Philanthropy & Audiences department. This is a paradigm-shifting moment for the organization, offering an opportunity for increased impact and greater integration of the diverse efforts and programs by which audiences learn about, engage with, and support the COC.
To help achieve this goal, the COC is looking for a Director, Sales & Acquisition. Reporting to the Executive Director, Philanthropy & Audiences, this role’s core responsibility is increasing the organization’s earned revenue.
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategic sales and acquisition plans to support the COC’s financial and business goals
- Generate revenue maximization through subscription and single ticket-campaigns
- Drive research to inform integrated sales strategies
- Put in place and execute on an aggressive growth plan to help accelerate revenue increases in both subscription and single-ticket sales
- Understand core audience base and ensure high retention rate
- Inspire and motivate the Sales & Acquisition team
- 7+ years of sales leadership experience or equivalent management experience
- An ambition to drive the company forward in all areas of earned revenue
- Proven track record in designing and executing successful sales campaigns with local, national, and international impact
- Demonstrated track record of exceeding sales objectives
- Experience in building both the core and new audiences’ relationship with a product
- A strong understanding of the relationship between ticket-buyers and donors and an obligation to support the advancement of this relationship
- Excellent grasp of and proficiency in ticketing programs, databases, data-mining and marketing analytics
- Ability to build strong relationships with key business partners
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing, sales and advertising theories and practices
- Experience with accurate forecasting, planning, and budgeting
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, and time-management skills to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- High level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative, commitment and professionalism
- Must be able to act and think creatively
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support-base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006. For more information on the COC, visit coc.ca.
Interested persons are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via e-mail or mail, stating salary expectations, to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting.
The Canadian Opera Company thanks, in advance, all applicants; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Date Posted: February 20, 2018