Development Officer, Philanthropy - Full-time
The Canadian Opera Company (COC) aims to bring the transformative experience of opera to our local, national, and global audience every day of the year. As such, our Philanthropy & Audiences department is currently seeking a full-time Development Officer, Philanthropy.
The Development Officer, Philanthropy will be part of a very active philanthropy team. Under the direction of the Director of Philanthropy, they will lead the development, writing and submission of applications and reports to individual donors, corporate partners, institutional funders and government agencies. They will work across the Philanthropy & Audiences department to manage and collaboratively execute fulfillment and stewardship for gifts at the $15,000 level and above.
This position is ideal for a compelling writer and story-teller with solid administrative, project and relationship management skills. The portfolio includes, but is not limited to: annual fund letters, stewardship reports, major gift and corporate proposals, etc.
- Write and lead the development of proposals and reports, manage the related submission and agreement process
- Manage departmental funding applications and reporting calendars
- Manage the process associated with data collection and stewardship report execution
- Ensure appropriate and timely funder and donor acknowledgement, including print, online and on-site recognition
- Support core department administration as it relates to individual giving, corporate partnerships and institutional giving including: database maintenance; agreements and contracts; organizational and data file maintenance
- Project manage the execution of special fundraising campaigns (as they arise)
- Minimum three years’ experience working in a fundraising environment
- Practical experience writing proposals, reports and applications; coordinating colleagues to develop and submit applications and reports and experience managing data collection and translation of complex information into accessible language
- Experience with relational databases and/or CRM platforms, preferably Tessitura
- Highly effective and clear written and verbal communication skills, and high proficiency with English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Ability to adapt writing styles for various purposes, for different media requirements, and for different audiences
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
This is a full-time position with benefits.
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience including a dedicated base of subscribers. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the company has an international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation. Its diverse repertoire includes new commissions and productions, local and international collaborations with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracts the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC Academy is an incubator for the future of the art form, nurturing Canada’s new wave of opera creators with customized training and support. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. For more information, visit coc.ca.
Interested persons are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via e-mail or mail,
stating salary expectations, no later than December 6, 2019 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Only applications received by December 6, 2019 will be considered. The Canadian Opera Company thanks, in advance, all applicants; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Date Posted: November 15, 2019